A firefighter died wrong a burning commercialized building successful downtown Buffalo, New York, connected Wednesday, wherever a occurrence and abrupt blast sent flames and fume billowing into nan street.
Video recorded by bystanders showed teams of firefighters extracurricular nan building being knocked complete and enveloped successful a unreality of ash, past flailing to regain power of spraying hoses. Fire Commissioner William Renaldo said nan fireball was apt caused by a backdraft, which he said occurs erstwhile oxygen is "sucked into nan building and past blown back."
The firefighter was reported missing soon aft crews arrived astatine nan building, which held a theatrical costumes shop. Renaldo said nan business quickly deteriorated and firefighters had to evacuate to flight nan collapsing interior.
NEW YORK FIREFIGHTER DEAD AFTER FOUR-ALARM FIRE, BUILDING COLLAPSE IN BUFFALO
"The remainder of our firefighters connected nan segment were capable to safely evacuate and unfortunately, he was not capable to," he said astatine an day news conference.
The firefighter’s personality was not instantly released.
Buffalo, New York, firefighters console each different pursuing confirmation that a workfellow died wrong a burning commercialized building. (Derek Gee/The Buffalo News via AP)
Rescuers initially held retired dream that nan missing firefighter would beryllium recovered live arsenic crews tried for hours to scope nan spot wherever he was believed trapped. Eventually nan segment turned grim and firefighters stopped to salute arsenic an ambulance drove distant from nan scene.
Mayor Byron Brown confirmed nan decease Wednesday afternoon.
"I americium profoundly saddened to study that a personnel of nan Buffalo Fire Department has mislaid his life while bravely fighting nan four-alarm occurrence connected Main Street successful Downtown Buffalo today," he said successful a statement. "I inquire everyone to support nan family and chap firefighters successful your prayers."
BODYCAM FOOTAGE SHOWS NJ HOUSE EXPLOSION WHILE FIREFIGHTERS STILL INSIDE
Brown ordered flags connected metropolis buildings lowered to half-staff.
The origin of nan occurrence is nether investigation. Renaldo said workers were utilizing blowtorches connected nan building's exterior earlier nan occurrence and that power whitethorn person transferred done ceramic aliases mortar to nan interior and ignited insubstantial aliases different combustibles.
"It looks for illustration a anticipation that nan occurrence was smoldering for immoderate clip wrong nan building earlier anyone was made aware," he said.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The building is owned by former U.S. Rep. Chris Jacobs and was being renovated. Brown said inspectors wished aft nan occurrence that it was unstable and would beryllium instantly demolished.