Published: Dec 24, 2022 astatine 04:53 PM
Around The NFL breaks down what you request to cognize from each of Saturday's enactment successful Week 16 of the 2022 NFL season. Catch up connected each game's biggest takeaways utilizing the links below:
Jeremy Bergman's takeaways:
- Steelers bargain one, enactment alive. On the 50th day of the "Immaculate Reception," the Steelers and Raiders recreated the conditions of that fateful crippled connected a frigid nighttime successful Pittsburgh by playing low-scoring, uh-ffensive shot for three-plus quarters. Then came the finish. After a 14-play, eight-minute slog of a Raiders TD thrust to unfastened the game, neither squad could puncture the reddish portion for the adjacent 50 minutes of crippled time, swapping turnovers, missed tract goals and chances and punts. But with 2:55 to go, pursuing Las Vegas' 3rd consecutive punt of the 4th quarter, Kenny Pickett led Pittsburgh connected its finest thrust of the night, a 10-play, 76-yard march leaning connected youngsters Pat Freiermuth and Najee Harris to prime up 3 of 5 archetypal downs. Pickett sealed the thrust and the comeback triumph with a definite midfield TD dart to rookie George Pickens, snatching triumph from the ice-cold jaws of defeat. Pittsburgh's improbable win, though not arsenic iconic arsenic Franco Harris' occurrence a half-century prior, kept the Steelers' faint dreams of a playoff berth live and staved disconnected Mike Tomlin's archetypal losing play arsenic caput manager for astatine slightest different week. Not rather immaculate, but a fitting tribute to the precocious large Steelers RB.
- Raiders stroke different game. Las Vegas' 4th fourth illness should person travel arsenic nary surprise. The Raiders person been handing teams precocious victories each play -- that is erstwhile their opponents aren't lateraling games away. Saturday's nonaccomplishment was Las Vegas' ninth of the season, ensuring a losing run successful Josh McDaniels' archetypal with the franchise, and its eighth by 1 score. Since climbing backmost into the playoff hunt with 3 consecutive wins to get to 5-7, the Raiders person dropped 2 roadworthy games connected out-of-character, last-second drives by Pickett and off-the-plane Baker Mayfield. These caller striking defeats person mirrored the Raiders' blown leads of 20 points to Arizona, 17 to Kansas City and 17 to Jacksonville earlier successful the season. More truthful than possibly immoderate squad successful the NFL this year, Las Vegas lacks a slayer instinct connected a defence that is prone to breakdowns and miscommunications successful crunch time; second-half injuries to Chandler Jones and Denzel Perryman connected Saturday nighttime definite didn't help. While the Raiders aren't rather retired of the AFC hunt astatine 6-9, they've done everything they could this play to guarantee they won't play heavy into January.
- Carr-Adams artillery runs retired of juice. The Fresno State friends are successful a acold spell. Frigid temps gave mode to a Derek Carr-Davante Adams transportation that froze implicit connected Saturday night. The backmost targeted the highly touted offseason acquisition 9 times against Pittsburgh, starring to conscionable 2 catches for 15 yards. It marked the 3rd consecutive crippled successful which Adams reeled successful 4 passes oregon less and caught less than 50% of his targets; the prima WR had zero receptions connected 7 targets with little than 3 yards of separation, his archetypal crippled with five-such targets since astatine slightest 2016. His chemistry with his erstwhile Bulldogs teammate fizzling, Carr looked to his forgotten Gruden-era targets, Hunter Renfrow and Darren Waller, whose seasons person been derailed by injury. The 2 combined for 8 catches, 100 yards and a TD (Renfrow's archetypal of the season) and were Carr's starring walk catchers connected the night, conscionable up of the Steelers defence (three INTs). Renfrow and Waller enjoyed their champion games since September connected Christmas Eve, offering a glimpse of what could person been if some had stayed steadfast and Carr had developed a steadfast rapport with each 3 Pro Bowl-caliber walk catchers.
Next Gen stat of the game: Derek Carr was 5 of 10 for 47 yards and 3 interceptions erstwhile targeting in-breaking routes. It was the Raiders QB's archetypal vocation crippled with 3 specified picks since astatine slightest 2018.
NFL Research: Clutch Kenny? Pittsburgh's game-winning TD thrust was Pickett's 2nd fourth-quarter comeback successful 2022 (Week 12 astatine IND) and his 3rd game-winning thrust of the play (Week 10 vs. NO, Week 12 astatine IND).
Eric Edholm's takeaways:
- All eyes are connected Ron Rivera aft Taylor Heinicke is benched late. After Heinicke threw what astatine archetypal looked similar a pick-six to Jimmie Ward (but aboriginal was ruled down earlier scoring), Rivera delivered the atrocious quality to his QB: They were making a switch. The ultra-competitive Heinicke didn't instrumentality the quality well, and you could reason helium hadn't played a unspeakable crippled to that point, but this determination had been successful the works for immoderate time, you person to think. Rivera had not dismissed the thought of making a power to Carson Wentz erstwhile helium was cleared for enactment from his digit injury, and that played retired precocious successful the loss. Wentz looked bully successful starring the squad down for a touchdown successful what would beryllium the longest scoring thrust of the game, and the 49ers defence did nonstop immoderate unit his way, not wholly sitting backmost successful zone. What did Heinicke successful connected this time were his 2 fourth-quarter turnovers connected a fumble and the pick. Not converting a captious QB sneak apt didn't assistance either. Although the vertical passing crippled heated up a bit, and the red-zone execution was amended with Heinicke, you person to wonderment if he'll spot the tract going guardant with Wentz steadfast present and 2 location games remaining to effort to fastener up a playoff spot.
- Nick Bosa took implicit the crippled successful the 2nd half. No disrespect to Dallas' Micah Parsons, but Bosa astir apt has to beryllium the frontrunner for Defensive Player of the Year aft Saturday's triumph implicit the Commanders. Bosa had 2 sacks and a cardinal fourth-down halt successful a crippled wherever the defence took implicit late. Bosa's fourth-down tackle of Taylor Heinicke led to a George Kittle TD and a 14-point pb successful the 3rd quarter. In the 4th quarter, Bosa's 2nd sack stripped the shot escaped from Heinicke and into the arms of Jordan Willis heavy successful Commanders territory, starring to a 49ers tract goal. On the ensuing drive, the Commanders utilized 2 blockers connected Bosa, which freed up Arik Armstead to proviso the unit that led to a precocious interception by Jimmie Ward. Bosa present has 17.5 sacks, a idiosyncratic champion putting him lone 2 shy of tying the 49ers all-time people of 19.5, held by Aldon Smith. Then for bully measure, aft Washington scored precocious to marque it a two-score game, Bosa sacked Carson Wentz connected the two-point try. The 49ers defence is loaded with talent, but Bosa is their astir captious subordinate -- and he's arguably been the champion defender successful the NFL this season.
- Jahan Dotson is really, truly good. In a twelvemonth wherever nary rookie backmost has had a large play and 3 superior rookie backs person missed clip with injury, you person to wonderment what Dotson's chances to triumph Offensive Rookie of the Year mightiness person been had helium besides not missed 4 games this season. As it is, helium leads the Commanders with 7 TDs successful his 10 games this year, and helium was beauteous wealth connected Saturday. Doston finished the crippled with six catches for 76 yards and a TD, taking implicit connected the thrust anterior to the fractional that tied the game. He hauled successful a tricky drawback amid 2 defenders, utilizing his sticky hands to snag it aft a bobble, and finished the thrust with a snazzy TD catch. He's present caught a touchdown walk successful 3 consecutive games and has hardly dropped thing this season. Even with uneven QB play, helium and Terry McLaurin marque for a precise pugnacious duo to handle. With different TD drawback this season, Dotson would walk McLaurin and necktie Charlie Brown for the franchise rookie play mark. Dotson did driblet a heavy ball, had different drawback wiped retired by a punishment and astir coughed the shot up precocious into the 49ers' hands. But helium has been a quality shaper each play erstwhile steadfast and a budding star.
Next Gen stat of the game: Commanders RB Brian Robinson ran 22 times for 58 yards, which was minus-31 rushing yards implicit expected. Robinson had a combined plus-75 unreserved yards implicit expected betwixt Weeks 12-15.
NFL Research: Brock Purdy is the 2nd QB since 1950 to commencement 3-0 and propulsion aggregate TD passes successful each of his archetypal 3 vocation starts. The different was aboriginal Hall of Famer Kurt Warner successful 1999, erstwhile helium won NFL MVP and Super Bowl XXXIV MVP that season.
Nick Shook's takeaways:
- Dallas' defence proves to beryllium the difference. This contention was a 12-round, heavyweight rubric combat for the ages. Back and distant some sides went: The Eagles jumped retired to a 10-0 lead, past recovered themselves tied astatine 17-17 wrong the two-minute warning. They took a 27-17 pb successful the third, past recovered themselves tied again earlier the extremity of the quarter. It happened again successful the 4th astatine 34-34. But astir each clip the Cowboys managed to claw their mode backmost into the game, it came courtesy of a takeaway. Dallas finished with 4 takeaways, including a cardinal fumble recovery, portion clinging to a three-point lead, justifying its No. 1 ranking successful turnovers. Despite giving up 442 yards, the clutch plays swung the crippled successful favour of the Cowboys, with a antiaircraft basal connected 4th down sealing the game. Sure, the Cowboys discourtesy was excellent, breaking 400 yards of discourtesy acknowledgment to an explosive crippled from Dak Prescott and (especially) CeeDee Lamb, but it's hard to spot them keeping gait without the takeaways. Oh, and that maligned unreserved defence successful Dallas? It held Miles Sanders to 3.1 yards per carry.
- Gardner Minshew proves to beryllium a worthy substitute. The top-seeded Eagles shifted from favourite to underdog this week solely due to the fact that of 1 reality: Minshew was going to person to regenerate the injured Jalen Hurts. Such a alteration nether halfway would pb 1 to judge the Cowboys mightiness instrumentality this crippled by a double-digit margin, but Minshew was not astir to fto that happen. The antheral down Minshew Mania erstwhile again surfaced arsenic a subordinate with a knack for timely completions, tossing a fig of fantabulous passes nether duress to person cardinal 3rd downs. Philadelphia finished 8 of 14 successful specified situations, and 1 thrust saw Minshew person 3 3rd downs, with the past being a touchdown walk to DeVonta Smith (who besides had a fantastic day). Although Minshew threw 2 interceptions, the Eagles didn't suffer this crippled due to the fact that of him. And they person to consciousness beauteous bully astir their chances with him successful the lineup until Hurts is acceptable to return.
- Wouldn't it beryllium large to get a rubber lucifer successful the playoffs? Dak Prescott wasn't capable to play successful their archetypal meeting, and Jalen Hurts missed the rematch. Why not tally it backmost a 3rd clip with some quarterbacks (presumably) healthy? The postseason volition person to benignant itself retired earlier we tin adjacent deliberation astir however a 3rd gathering would go, but this classical deserved the playoff stage. Prescott and Minshew traded scoring drives similar haymakers, and Smith and Lamb each delivered uppercuts with each reception. The numbers were remarkably similar, prevention for the turnover differential. This was, successful a word, amusive -- outrageously fun. Dallas could equine a late-season push for the NFC East title, but arsenic we saw with Minshew's show Saturday, the Cowboys can't slope connected the Eagles losing out. Regardless of seeding, a rubber lucifer would beryllium a tremendous viewing experience. If it ends up deciding the conference, adjacent better.
Next Gen Stat of the game: In what was fundamentally the play of the game, T.Y. Hilton had a 22.5 percent completion probability connected his 52-yard reception connected third-and-30 successful the 4th quarter. The completion added 19.3 percent to Dallas' triumph probability.
NFL Research: CeeDee Lamb had his 2nd vocation crippled with 10-plus receptions, 100-plus receiving yards and two-plus receiving TDs, tied with Amari Cooper for the astir successful Cowboys history. Lamb has much specified games than the remainder of the 88 Club combined (Dez Bryant, Michael Irvin and Drew Pearson).
Kevin Patra's takeaways:
- Bills' crushed crippled spearheads runaway triumph successful Windy City. Josh Allen couldn't make overmuch done the aerial successful Chicago's freezing, blustery conditions. The rushing attack, however, was plentifulness blistery capable to skate for a blowout victory. Buffalo rushed for 254 yards connected 31 attempts with 3 crushed scores. Trailing 10-6 astatine the half, Devin Singletary and James Cook scorched the Bears defense, moving done gaping holes for chunk gains. Singletary (12/106/1) got the 2nd fractional started with a 33-yard TD scamper. Cook (11/99/1) matched that with a 27-yard gallop connected the adjacent thrust to stroke the crippled open. With Allen struggling successful the wind, throwing 2 ghastly interceptions, the Bills showed they could thin connected a rushing attack. Heading into the postseason, knowing the tally crippled tin make explosive plays and churn retired archetypal downs provides reassurance if the atrocious upwind continues to travel the Bills around.
- Buffalo defence stymies Justin Fields, Bears offense. Fields couldn't supply galore jolts to champion a Bills defence keying connected the dual-threat QB. Fields rushed conscionable 7 times for 11 yards, ne'er uncovering abstraction with Matt Milano and the remainder of the Bills D lurking. Playing successful mediocre conditions and lacking weapons, the Bears didn't spot Fields overmuch to propulsion aft the opening drive. The QB did splash a gorgeous 44-yarder to Velus Jones to adjacent the 3rd quarter, but extracurricular of that play, the Bears discourtesy was backmost to the inconsistent malaise we saw aboriginal successful the season. A hoard of run-run-ask-Fields-to-create-magic drives wasn't going to get it done against the Bills. Buffalo stacked the box, spied Fields and dared the Bears to determination the shot done the air. It worked, holding Chicago to 209 full yards, including 80 rushing.
- Bills clinch AFC East title. For the 3rd consecutive season, Sean McDermott's nine took the part crown. Buffalo had gone 24 consecutive seasons (1996-2019) without a part rubric anterior to 2020. The triumph is Buffalo's sixth consecutive to amended to 12-3 and keeps the Bills in the No. 1 spot up of Kansas City heading into the last 2 weeks. Buffalo faces the AFC North-leading Bengals adjacent week and the Patriots successful Week 18.
Next Gen stat of the game: Justin Fields went 3-of-4 for 70 yards and a TD connected passes of 10-plus aerial yards (12-of-18, 49 yards connected passes of less than 10 aerial yards).
NFL Research: Josh Allen (174) passed Dan Marino (171) for the astir violative touchdowns successful a player's archetypal 5 seasons successful the Super Bowl era.
Eric Edholm's takeaways:
- Ravens bash conscionable capable offensively to triumph again. That's present 3 wins successful 4 games pursuing Saturday's grind-it-out triumph implicit Atlanta, and successful each 1 of them the Ravens person failed to walk the 17-point mark. The Falcons outgained the Ravens, had much archetypal downs and ran 17 much plays but settled for tract goals and had 2 possessions extremity connected downs. What made it a palmy time for the Ravens erstwhile they took power successful the 2nd 4th and converted the lone TD thrust of the crippled for either team. After forcing a turnover connected defense, the Ravens took implicit and ran the shot 11 consecutive times earlier Tyler Huntley deed Demarcus Robinson for the 6-yard TD, which held up connected replay. Gus Edwards and J.K. Dobbins fueled that thrust and combined for 158 yards connected 23 carries connected the day, with Huntley chipping successful 31 yards connected his archetypal 8 runs (before 3 kneeldowns). Dobbins' caller resurgence is simply a bully motion for the Ravens. It wasn't a beauteous performance, but it's what the Ravens cognize they request to bash with Lamar Jackson inactive connected the mend. Baltimore inactive controls its destiny for the part and is present successful the playoffs aft the Pats mislaid to the Bengals.
- Desmond Ridder shows a fewer flashes successful incomplete performance. Ridder's 2nd NFL commencement was overmuch cleaner than his first, erstwhile his pouch beingness was lacking and his nerves seemed to get the champion of him. On Saturday, though, Ridder settled successful aft a quiescent commencement and recovered immoderate bully bushed for a fewer stretches. The biggest improvement was Ridder uncovering Drake London consistently, including a truly awesome propulsion to London for 20 yards down to the Baltimore 4-yard enactment successful the 4th quarter. The Falcons couldn't convert, getting stopped connected 4th down. But it is notable that Ridder and London present person hooked up 14 times successful 2 games (on 20 targets) for 166 yards aft the rookie had lone 16 catches (on 26 targets) for 132 yards the erstwhile six games with Marcus Mariota astatine QB. If you're a Ridder fan, Saturday was a bully incremental measurement successful his improvement with 2023 successful mind. Atlanta apt volition bring successful QB contention successful the offseason, but Ridder's play down the agelong volition beryllium amusive to watch.
- Falcons stroke a fewer aureate chances to triumph this game. The end-of-half execution was an indictment connected caput manager Arthur Smith arsenic the Falcons tried to chopped into a 14-0 deficit. Starting the play with 43 seconds until halftime, Ridder deed Avery Williams connected a 7-yard walk to the Baltimore 1-yard line. Smith, with 1 timeout successful his pocket, fto the timepiece run. Ridder snapped the first-and-goal play with 25 seconds remaining; it was a slow-developing rollout, unit forced Ridder to get escaped of the ball, and intentional grounding was called. Only past did Smith usage a timeout, and the Falcons had to settee for a tract extremity (that hardly made it through). Those were perchance mislaid points. The Falcons past had the shot successful TD scope successful the 4th quarter, facing a 17-6 deficit, but stalled with immoderate questionable play calls and were stopped connected 4th down. If the Falcons privation to beryllium a run-heavy squad that wins adjacent games, they apt volition request to cleanable up these kinds of miscues. They've been happening rather often this play and are a large crushed wherefore the team's 5-10 and out of playoff contention.
Next Gen stat of the game: Ravens moving backmost Gus Edwards had plus-52 rushing yards implicit expected, which was the third-most successful a azygous crippled successful his career.
NFL Research: Demarcus Robinson scored the lone touchdown of the game. He was the archetypal Ravens wide receiver to drawback a TD since Devin Duvernay successful Week 3. The Ravens had not thrown a TD walk successful their 3 erstwhile games.
Michael Baca's takeaways:
- Panthers' ascendant rushing onslaught keeps improbable play alive. Carolina gashed the Lions defence for 320 yards and 3 touchdowns connected the ground, outright controlling a fast-paced crippled successful frigid temperatures and mounting the franchise's all-time people for rushing yards successful the process. Chuba Hubbard acceptable the code for specified a time with a 30-yard scamper connected the game's opening play, prompting an eye-opening showcase of large tally plays initiated by the tremendous blocking from the Panthers' violative line. D'Onta Foreman got into the premix arsenic good with a mates of large gains and would soon eclipse the 100-yard rushing people on with Hubbard to assistance propel the Panthers into halftime with a commanding 24-7 lead. While Detroit was amended prepared to halt the tally successful the 2nd half, Carolina kept churning distant connected the crushed to devour up timepiece with a pb and allowed its passing crippled to unfastened up. Needing a archetypal down to support possession precocious successful the 4th quarter, Foreman ran up the mediate for 28 yards to surpass the team's erstwhile grounds of 299 full rushing yards successful a game. Foreman (165 yards; TD) and Hubbard (125) acceptable career-high marks successful the effort, and with the Panthers notching wins successful 3 of their past 4 games, interim caput manager Steve Wilks has his squad eyeing an implausible playoff berth amid a tumultuous season.
- Lions couldn't ascent retired of aboriginal hole. Detroit acceptable the array for a shootout successful Charlotte answering the Panthers' opening scoring thrust with a touchdown, but the Lions' lone turnover connected the time ruined specified a scenario. Jared Goff's mislaid fumble connected the drawback not lone ended a agelong Lions thrust that reached the reddish zone, but concluded the quarterback's awesome streak of zero turnovers implicit the past six games (five wins). Detroit ne'er truly recovered aft allowing a TD connected the ensuing Panthers thrust and enactment itself successful a precarious spot arsenic its leaky tally defence affected the bushed of its streaky offense. The Lions went three-and-out connected their 2 remaining drives of the archetypal fractional and offered the aforesaid effect for their 2 possessions coming retired of halftime. Goff yet got the discourtesy going precocious successful the 3rd quarter, totaling 355 passing yards and uncovering 3 TDs to Shane Zylstra, but this was acold from an awesome crippled his last stat enactment whitethorn suggest. The Lions' 45 full rushing yards connected the time were different glaring origin of Detroit's disappointing day, and Dan Campbell's squad volition spell guardant needing assistance from different teams successful bid to person a accidental of getting into the playoffs.
- Sam Darnold making his lawsuit successful Carolina. Benefiting from a rushing onslaught that couldn't beryllium stopped, the Panthers backmost exploited the Lions defence done the aerial successful the 2nd fractional to guarantee a stress-free win. It was a objection of what could beryllium successful Carolina erstwhile the discourtesy is firing connected each cylinders. Darnold's 47-yard transportation to D.J. Moore connected the Panthers' opening second-half possession exemplified the benignant of splash plays that could beryllium had successful Carolina with a susceptible quarterback. The play acceptable up Darnold's back-breaking TD propulsion to Moore to widen its first-half dominance, and portion the Panthers QB managed his mode toward an casual win, helium was capable to marque each the throws asked of him. The 25-year-old completed 15 of 22 passes for 250 yards and a TD portion adding 19 rushing yards and different people successful the archetypal half. Darnold recovered Moore 5 times for 83 yards and continues to beryllium a steadfast rapport with Carolina's apical receiving threat. It's performances similar these that marque 1 wonderment if Darnold -- the Panthers' 3rd starting QB of the play -- has been the antheral each on for Carolina successful 2022. With 2 roadworthy games remaining against NFC South foes (at Buccaneers, astatine Saints), Darnold surely has an accidental to not lone marque that lawsuit but go Carolina's redeeming grace.
Next Gen stat of the game: The Carolina Panthers' +130 rushing yards implicit expected successful the archetypal fractional are the astir by immoderate squad since RYOE was introduced successful 2018.
NFL Research: The Panthers discourtesy acceptable caller franchise records successful full yards (570) and rushing yards (320) vs. the Lions down 165 rushing yards from D'Onta Foreman and 125 unreserved yards from Chuba Hubbard, which is the archetypal clip successful squad past that 2 players each had astatine slightest 125 rushing yards successful the aforesaid game.
Eric Edholm's takeaways:
- Of people it came down to the end, and these teams could spot each different again. In what mightiness person been a playoff preview, the Vikings outlasted the Giants successful a one-score crippled -- thing some teams person been rather immersed successful this season. According to NFL Research, the Vikings are present 11-0 successful games decided by 1 possession successful 2022 -- the astir one-possession victories successful a play all-time. Strangely, the crippled didn't look to person a melodramatic effect connected the playoff tiers. The Vikings kept their distant hopes live for the apical playoff seed, and contempt the loss, the Giants were helped by different teams' losses elsewhere. It's wholly imaginable these teams are backmost astatine U.S. Bank Stadium successful a fewer weeks for a wild-card circular crippled if things enactment the people successful the NFC. The Giants tin look astatine losing the turnover borderline (2-0) and the punishment conflict (7-2) arsenic 2 large reasons wherefore they came up a spot short. Dropped passes didn't help. Neither did picking disconnected Kirk Cousins doubly lone to spot some -- 1 by penalty, 1 by reappraisal -- beryllium overturned. But they hung pugnacious and gave themselves a accidental successful the end. If these teams so bash quadrate disconnected again, a adjacent crippled that comes down to a fewer plays feels astir inevitable.
- T.J. Hockenson comes up immense successful the win. The Hockenson commercialized has been a important constituent to the Vikings' agelong run, arsenic he's caught three-plus passes successful each crippled with Minnesota and easy integrated himself into the offense. Saturday was his champion crippled arsenic a Viking yet -- and statistically 1 of the champion of his career. Hockenson matched his vocation precocious for catches (10) with 14 minutes near successful the crippled and finished with 13 grabs for 109 yards and 2 touchdowns, lone the 2nd multi-TD crippled of his career. The Vikings ne'er trailed aft Hockenson's 15-yard TD aboriginal successful the 4th quarter, and it was a fantastic drawback successful postulation against choky antheral coverage. He besides took a fewer shots successful this crippled and kept getting up and churning retired archetypal downs. He and Justin Jefferson some helped bail retired Cousins successful what was an uneven time for the quarterback.
- Daniel Jones isn't to blasted for the Giants' loss. Jones' interception aboriginal successful the 4th fourth was a mediocre propulsion and a pugnacious stroke aft the Giants had moved into scoring scope successful a four-point game. But it was his archetypal INT since Week 11 and was astir the lone happening to mar his grounds connected this day. Sure, this is simply a Vikings defence that has made a wont of bringing retired the champion successful opposing quarterbacks. But Jones threw with assurance successful completing 30 of 42 passes for 334 yards and 1 TD with Isaiah Hodgins, Richie James and Darius Slayton arsenic his apical targets. Jones besides showed immoderate existent toughness to support warring successful a crippled wherever helium took 3 sacks and 11 hits, and helium ran 4 times for 34 yards. After immoderate caller games wherever the passing crippled appeared limited, this was a affirmative development, particularly if the Giants get to look this defence again. The holes successful the secondary were there. The chances were, too. The Giants tin triumph the imaginable rematch if Jones plays this good again and they instrumentality vantage of their chances better.
Next Gen stat of the game: Giants caput manager Brian Daboll mislaid 5.6% triumph probability connected his determination to footwear a tract extremity connected fourth-and-5 from the Minnesota 37-yard enactment successful the 4th quarter.
NFL Research: Justin Jefferson present holds the Vikings' single-season receiving-yards grounds that was antecedently held by Randy Moss (1,632 yards successful 2003).
Nick Shook's takeaways:
- Patrick Mahomes, creator of blessed small TDs. We cognize Mahomes is simply a magician with the shot successful his hands, but overmuch of his show connected Saturday wasn't an enactment -- it was art. Mahomes' quality to widen the play produced a fig of completions that didn't look imaginable conscionable seconds earlier, and 1 play stands retired successful particular: A 27-yard completion to Travis Kelce connected third-and-5 successful which Mahomes enactment the cleanable magnitude of interaction connected his pass, dropping 1 implicit the enarthrosis of Teez Tabor and close into Kelce's arms for a cardinal pickup that led to the Chiefs' 2nd people of the day. Statistically, Mahomes didn't airy up the scoreboard -- helium finished 16-of-28 for 224 yards and 2 touchdowns -- but helium made a fig of cardinal throws to support the Chiefs discourtesy moving, gathering an aboriginal 17-0 pb that felt alternatively insurmountable. His touchdown tally was the icing connected apical of the Chiefs' sweetener cookies.
- Seahawks discarded a bully time from Kenneth Walker. It had been much than a period since Walker broke 100 yards connected the crushed entering Saturday. Instead of continuing to struggle, Walker took vantage of Kansas City's defense, which began Week 16 tied for 24th against the run, rushing 26 times for 107 yards. He provided astir of Seattle's violative firepower for the bulk of the game, but the Seahawks couldn't get retired of their ain way, converting conscionable 2 of 14 third-down attempts and turning it implicit once. Though the Seahawks weren't buried connected the scoreboard, 1 look astatine the triumph probability graph tells the communicative of this game. Seattle ne'er had much than a 23 percent accidental of triumph against Kansas City. Walker's effort proved to beryllium irrelevant arsenic a effect successful a crippled that wasn't adjacent arsenic adjacent arsenic its 14-point difference. After losing 3 consecutive and 4 of their past five, it's just to wonderment whether the Seahawks person tally retired of gas. It definite seems similar it.
- Kansas City's defence makes a late-season surge. The Chiefs person not been precise bully defensively this season, ranking 18th entering Week 16 and 28th successful large plays allowed. Saturday was a antithetic communicative for Kansas City, which perpetually harassed Geno Smith with a bevy of antithetic walk rushers. Chris Jones registered a career-high 8 QB pressures to spell on with a sack connected 36 rushes (22.2 unit percentage), per Next Gen Stats, and helium was acold from alone. George Karlaftis made a brace of important plays early, batting down a Smith walk connected fourth-and-3 successful the archetypal 4th to extremity a Seattle drive. He followed that up with a third-down sack heavy successful Seattle territory, forcing different Seahawks punt. Four Chiefs finished with 2 oregon much pressures: Jones, Karlaftis (two), Carlos Dunlap (three) and Frank Clark (two). That wasn't each for the Chiefs defense, which tempered Walker's coagulated time by watching 7 of its defenders registry astatine slightest 1 tally stuff. If Kansas City tin play similar this each week, they're successful a fantastic presumption to instrumentality to the Super Bowl. It's astir consistency from present connected out.
Next Gen Stat of the game: Patrick Mahomes completed 13 of 19 passes of less than 10 aerial yards for 125 yards and 2 touchdowns.
NFL Research: Patrick Mahomes threw 2 touchdown passes of less than 10 yards Saturday, expanding his full of specified touchdown passes to 24 successful 2022. He trails lone Peyton Manning (25 successful 2013) and Aaron Rodgers (29 successful 2020) for the astir specified touchdown passes successful a play successful NFL history. Both Manning and Rodgers won MVP successful those seasons.
Kevin Patra's takeaways:
- Joe Burrow starts hot, Bengals bent connected late. Burrow completed his archetypal 11 passes arsenic the Bengals discourtesy did immoderate it wanted successful the archetypal half. Cincy outgained the Pats 303 yards to 70 astatine halftime arsenic the Bengals built a 22-0 lead. Burrow was firing darts, dropping dimes and churning retired archetypal downs (15 passing done 2 quarters). Burrow completed 28 passes, the astir by immoderate QB successful a fractional this season. If not for a reddish portion interception by Burrow, the fractional would person been adjacent much lopsided. In the 2nd half, the Patriots defence turned the tables, holding Cincy to 118 yards. Burrow threw a pick-six connected a miscommunication with Ja'Marr Chase. Later, the prima wideout fumbled, giving the Patriots a accidental to instrumentality the pb late. Toss successful a missed tract goal, and the aplomb play of the archetypal fractional from the Bengals dissipated. Luckily, the defence came up with a immense halt precocious aft the discourtesy scuttled. All that matters for Zac Taylor's club: It survived connected the roadworthy for a win.
- Patriots choke distant different accidental astatine a comeback victory. After a pathetic archetypal fractional from New England's offense, Mac Jones yet recovered beingness by taking shots to Kendrick Bourne. After throwing for 34 yards successful a scoreless archetypal half, Jones netted 206 and 2 touchdowns -- including 1 connected a heave that was batted and fell to Jakobi Meyers -- successful the 2nd fractional to get the Patriots backmost into the game. Following a 2nd missed PAT from Nick Folk that kept the crippled astatine 4 points, Matt Judon forced a Chase fumble to springiness the Pats a accidental to instrumentality the lead. With the Bengals retired of timeouts, the Patriots had an accidental to power the crippled and people to instrumentality the pb with small to nary clip left. However, for the 2nd consecutive week, New England bumbled their mode to the end. Rhamondre Stevenson fumbled the shot connected first-and-goal from the 5-yard-line with 59 seconds left. Following last week's mind-numbing transportation play, Stevenson's fumble was different choke occupation with a accidental to marque a playoff push.
- Bengals stay atop AFC North; Patriots' playoff hopes connected beingness support. Cincy's triumph moved them to 11-4, keeping their one-game lead implicit the Ravens (10-5) intact with 2 to play. Having clinched a playoff spot, the Bengals volition effort to triumph back-to-back part titles successful the last 2 weeks. Cincy faces the No. 1 seeded Bills successful Week 17 and the Ravens successful Week 18. Meanwhile, the past 2 weeks person been brutal for the Pats' playoff chances. Instead of pulling retired second-half wins, Bill Belichick's nine present needs assistance to support its postseason hopes live with AFC East matchups against the Dolphins and Bills left.
Next Gen stat of the game: Bengals receiver Trenton Irwin had a 25.6 percent completion probability connected an 18-yard TD reception (the astir improbable drawback successful his career).
NFL Research: Marcus Jones has a receiving TD, punt instrumentality TD and INT instrumentality TD arsenic a rookie. The lone different subordinate successful the Super Bowl epoch to people a 40-plus-yard TD each of those ways successful his full vocation is Deion Sanders.
Nick Shook's takeaways:
- Saints defence stands gangly successful unspeakable conditions. Saturday stood arsenic the third-coldest crippled played successful Cleveland successful franchise history, with the seven-degree somesthesia acold capable to frost fans' beverages earlier they could decorativeness them successful the stands. Logically, this would marque things rather hard for a roadworthy squad that's utilized to playing successful a climate-controlled dome. Not these Saints, though, who gave up 10 first-half points, past denied Cleveland successful the game's last 2 quarters. An interception disconnected a deflected walk acceptable up New Orleans' go-ahead score, and the unit's quality to stifle Cleveland's discourtesy produced 2 turnovers connected downs, preserving the one-score advantage. Nick Chubb finished with a per-carry mean nether 4 yards, and Deshaun Watson posted the worst passer standing (47.1) of his career. Some of this is surely owed to the conditions, but it would've been easier for the Saints defence to springiness up aft falling down by 10. Instead, Dennis Allen's clump proved to beryllium tougher with a carnal marque of shot that sent the Browns to a loss. So overmuch for home-field advantage.
- Kevin Stefanski is entering unsafe territory. The Browns' manager and play-caller has made a fig of questionable decisions connected cardinal downs passim this season, and Saturday was nary different. After taking a 10-0 lead, Cleveland's discourtesy went into a ammunition connected some the sideline and the field. Watson's formed of walk catchers repeatedly dropped well-placed passes -- particularly connected the Browns' hopeless last thrust -- and Stefanski didn't bash his backmost immoderate favors, calling 2 passes connected third-and-2 and fourth-and-2 successful a crippled played amid upwind gusts of implicit 20 mph. Stefanski's rushing onslaught struggled to get going, falling unfortunate to a predictable attack that New Orleans had nary occupation defending. The timing of his walk plays didn't marque overmuch sense, either, consistently putting the Browns down docket and forcing Watson to effort low-percentage passes. The defense, unsurprisingly, fell isolated successful the 2nd half, allowing the Saints to people 17 unanswered points. And erstwhile the Browns needed a touchdown most, they failed, sending them toward an irrelevant two-game agelong to adjacent different disappointing campaign. Stefanski's spot isn't hot, but adjacent with the Browns' precocious backmost alteration considered, it should beryllium warm. There's conscionable nary excuse for the mode helium called Saturday's game, which should person been a winnable 1 for the Browns. With precise small near to play for successful the last 2 weeks of 2022, Stefanski volition request to bash his champion to guarantee Cleveland doesn't extremity the run successful disfigured fashion.
- Alvin Kamara deserves a medal for this performance. Consider this: The Saints won a crippled successful frigid conditions by throwing for less than 92 yards. As a team, they gained 244 yards. Those numbers typically don't bespeak a winning team, but due to the fact that of Kamara, the Saints near Cleveland successful triumphant fashion. Following a Daniel Sorensen interception, the Saints moved close down the abbreviated field, and Kamara punched it successful from 4 yards retired by redirecting down the enactment of scrimmage and moving done would-be tacklers crossed the extremity line. Kamara besides caught a cardinal third-down walk successful the 4th quarter, extending a thrust that would yet stall, but not earlier moving down the tract capable to pin the Browns heavy successful their ain territory. Of those 244 yards, Kamara was liable for 110 and 1 of New Orleans' 2 touchdowns. New Orleans doesn't triumph this crippled without Kamara, who tied Marques Colston for the astir full touchdowns successful Saints past (72) Saturday.
Next Gen stat of the game: Alvin Kamara and Taysom Hill combined to decorativeness with +40 rushing yards implicit expected successful Saturday's win.
NFL Research: Saturday was the 3rd clip successful franchise past successful which the Saints won a crippled successful which they finished with less than 100 passing yards and zero passing touchdowns.
Coral Smith's takeaways:
- Houston yet gets a W successful a adjacent game. The past 2 weeks, the Texans person looked similar they had a accidental to upset a amended squad precocious successful the game, but against some the Cowboys and the Chiefs, they couldn't adjacent things retired for the win. That wasn't the lawsuit connected Saturday. Despite tiny mistakes which kept the game's result successful question precocious successful the proceedings, the Texans were capable to marque the important plays erstwhile it mattered most, securing the triumph implicit the Titans to instrumentality location that elusive 2nd triumph of the play and extremity a nine-game losing streak. A adjacent crippled throughout, Houston trailed 14-10 aboriginal successful the 4th fourth erstwhile linebacker Jake Hansen forced a fumble from Derrick Henry, mounting up a abbreviated tract and a accidental to instrumentality the pb with a touchdown. Though the thrust stalled adjacent the extremity enactment and the Texans had to settee for a tract goal, Davis Mills and the discourtesy were capable to instrumentality the pb connected the adjacent drive. After it failed to person a two-point effort to marque it a seven-point game, Houston had to get a halt against a Tennessee discourtesy trying to enactment unneurotic a game-winning thrust with nether 3 minutes left. But the Texans foiled that attempt, with Christian Harris intercepting Titans QB Malik Willis. Though Houston's discourtesy couldn't adjacent it retired there, going three-and-out and punting it with 70 seconds left, the defence was inactive capable to triumph it astatine the past second, intercepting Willis' Hail Mary effort arsenic clip expired. It wasn't the cleanest triumph and the Texans near the doorway unfastened connected aggregate occasions, but nevertheless, the Titans couldn't instrumentality vantage of their opportunities and Houston got the win.
- Henry struggles, Titans suffer 5th straight. Derrick Henry was expected to beryllium a large origin for the Titans going into Saturday's matchup, some due to the fact that of Tennessee's continued reliance connected his accumulation successful pugnacious situations and due to the fact that of his humanities dominance of Houston. But contempt Henry putting unneurotic his eighth crippled this play of astatine slightest 100 rushing yards, it wasn't enough. Part of this is that, with Willis starting his third-career crippled with Ryan Tannehill out, the passing crippled conscionable ne'er got going, and the Titans finished with nether 100 yards done the air. Henry besides had his just stock of issues. He had a 48-yard touchdown successful the archetypal half, making defenders miss connected his mode to the score, but different than that his numbers weren't stellar. Excluding that 1 TD run, Henry had 78 yards connected 23 attempts, averaging astir 3.4 yards per carry. Multiple times helium was stuffed astatine oregon earlier the enactment of scrimmage. And connected apical of each that, helium had a cardinal fumble successful the 4th quarter, which marked his 4th successful the past 3 games aft having fumbled lone doubly successful the archetypal 12 games this season. With neither facet of the discourtesy moving connected Saturday, the Titans mislaid their 5th consecutive crippled and their spot atop the AFC South. Not a large play successful Tennessee.
- Mills' cleanable thrust gives Texans the win. Davis Mills has struggled each play starring a banged-up offense, and that was mostly inactive the lawsuit for astir of the crippled connected Saturday. But with the Texans trailing and successful request of a scoring thrust late, helium came done and delivered a cleanable thrust to springiness Houston a pb it would not relinquish. Mills was 13 of 24 for 109 yards and an interception excluding this 1 possession, but successful that march down the tract with 5 minutes left, helium was 4 of 4 for 69 yards, uncovering 4 antithetic receivers for gains of 6, 20, 37 and 6 yards. The past of those throws was a completion to Brandin Cooks for a touchdown connected the 5th play of the 73-yard thrust to springiness Houston the 19-14 lead. That 1 possession secured the Texans the win, and Mills' show spearheaded the effort.
Next Gen stat of the game: Texans antiaircraft extremity Ogbo Okoronkwo had six QB pressures and 2 sacks connected 17 walk rushes, giving him a 35.3 unit percent successful the win.
NFL Research: With his 48-yard rushing touchdown successful the archetypal quarter, Derrick Henry present has 12 vocation rushing touchdowns against the Texans. This broke a necktie betwixt him and Maurice Jones-Drew for the astir by immoderate subordinate versus the Texans successful NFL history.